Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Is it a "Terrorist" Attack or Not?

We all know that there is a bias against Israel in the press.  But over these last few weeks that bias has been made crystal clear, first with the Fogels and now with the bus stop bombing in Jerusalem.  I was reading a bunch of articles on various sights today and they all had one thing in common: they all lacked calling the attack outright a terrorist attack.  Some of the news sights, USAToday blog, mentioned that the Israeli police called it a "terrorist attack," but this does not make the cut.  These news reports do not call it a terrorist attack themselves.  They just quote the police, as if to say we don't agree, but this is what they are calling it.  Other sights neglect to call it anything but an attack or a strike.  There is no mention of terrorism at all in the NYTimes article or the article on the LATimes blog. I understand the journalists want to have their facts right before they report them.  But in such a case, where it is SO clear that this attack was by the hands of terrorists, such reasoning does not work.  Bias is the only possibility here.

1 comment:

  1. My friend recently interviewed a member of the Palestinian delegation to the UN. I was surprised when I read the transcript that stated that he too, felt there was a bias in the media and in the UN against Palestinians. I did not know what to make of that. I wanted to respond - are you serious?! The bias is clearly against Israel! But I took Pause and thought, perhaps the bias is also in me and what I read in to the media.

    ReplyDelete